Tuesday, January 13, 2009

CES SiliconDust: HDHomeRun with Cablecard?

I was over at The Green Button and saw a video blog post from CES.  I decided to check it out since there was mention of SiliconDust, and I am considering purchasing an HDHomeRun to augment my Hauppauge 2250 for my HTPC.

The SiliconDust employee mentioned that a CableLabs representitive inquired as to why they weren't certified, and said that it was rather simple to become certified (for a fee, I am sure).  I got a little giddy when I thought of a possibility of a HDHomeRun-type device (network attached tuners) that are CableCard ready.  It could finally set non-OEM users free from the clutches of the likes of Comcast and other cable providers.

1 comment:

John Covert said...

Isn't the requirement for CableCard that it's impossible to get the clear digital signal out...

that is, any cablecard certified device makes it impossible (or at least very difficult) to obtain anything but an HD analog version of the encrypted signal.