Saturday, June 7, 2008

Retirement

Recently I was asked a some questions about the various retirement plans at work which got me thinking about my own situation again.

Obviously for me it is sort of a cloud, despite the best 'financial outlook' I don't think anyone is qualified to predict what anything will be like 46 years from now. That being said, using today's facts and figures, things are looking pretty bright. It got me thinking, though, of how many people are in trouble. I know many people my mom's age who simply do not think about retirement or are just starting to think about it at age 50. That may be even more scary than my situation - that is, not knowing what will happen in 35-46 years from now as opposed to knowing that in 15 or so years you'll have the make the decision to continue working because your planning wasn't enough.

In addition to that, there are a number of unknown factors, such as additional children, changes to the house, rising cost of fuel and food, inflation, and more. It is a difficult subject to tackle. I'm not yet to the point where I will pay money to someone to help me sort it out - but I am doing a lot of reading on investing to try to get the most bang for my buck. For the time being, though, we are focusing on paying down the new car we recently purchased, paying down the mortgage, and staying out of debt.

No comments: